Wie geht's?

The title would translate to "How is it going?" in Deutsch (German). I have always had the passion towards languages (except for mastering English ;-) ). So taking a step towards realising my passion I joined the German class recently, still a long way to go, but am attracted to this language for some of its special features that I have not found in the other local languages that I knew. And to add on, I have to learn the English grammars to understand the Deutsch language.



One of them is the gender identity which am sure you cannot find in English. Though this gender association makes the language special, on the contrary this particular feature makes it a bit complex for the beginners. When i say 'a doctor' It may be a male or a female doctor, like wise a driver could be male or female. This is being handled in german;


e.g, "Arzt" in english would be translated to a doctor but in german it would mean a male doctor and "Arztin" would mean a lady doctor.

While this gender identity for human beings would be fair and agreed, a gender is being associated for non living objects which makes it tougher to comprehend.
e.g, A Lamp (die Lampe) would be feminine while a Carpet (der Teppisch) is masculine but the Sofa (das Sofa) would fall under a neutral gender :-) .


Are you confused? so am I. when I ask my tutor (who is not a german by nationality) on how this classification is arrived on biasing some object to a masculine or a feminine gender? he doesn't have an answer but he promises me that i'll get through it and will be familiar by the end of the course :-) I can totally understand him but yet this question remains unanswered to me....


More insight on Deutsch to follow!

Danke! Auf wiedersehen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kerala Travelogue

Singapore Blues

Book review - The Immortals of Meluha